Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Planned Meals

After receiving the news that we will have to meet 2 deductibles in order to have this baby...don't get me started...my focus has shifted from buying new maternity clothes, to planning my meals and coupon printing. I thought I'd share how my first night went, because I was very, very surprised. I used to think that I had to shop at super walmart or spend hours clipping coupons to save money and decided that my time was more valuable. Not to mention attempting to 'not' expose my child to the People Of Walmart. A friend suggested I check out Southern Savers. She was right-I can still shop at (my beloved) Publix and save MORE MONEY than shopping at Walmart by buying Publix BYGOF items. This site will list-by store-all of the BYGOF items, all of the sale items, and attach any additional coupons for those items, including any papers/books they may have at the front with additional discounts! I simply look at what is on sale (mainly BYGOF), plan a week's worth of meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) based on what I can cook with those sale items, and I print my "grocery list" and coupons to take with me. I bought us a week's worth of name brand foods and fresh meat/produce for $75. This week, we will be having spaghetti, homemade chix noodle soup, pot roast/potatoes/carrots, sour cream chicken, hamburger helper :), tacos, and hickory smoked brats with corn on the cob. I also got lunch and breakfast items for each day! My receipt showed a savings of-$25, but I really saved more than that, because I didn't roam up and down the isles, ignoring prices and picking up anything that looked good, like usual. My usual large grocery trip would cost about $160, with frequent small trips throughout the week. Now, I know that some of you are shreeking with disappointment but I have no desire to be the crazy coupon lady, nor do I want to be unethical or spend hours upon hours planning my next attack. I love Publix and I am so excited to continue shopping there WHILE saving money. I love that you can buy just one of their BYGOF items and get it at 1/2 off. Only two items I bought were at full price (not 1/2 off). If we can keep this up, we'll only spend $300 a month on groceries, which will save quite a bit of money-especially if we aren't eating out. So, I wanted to share this with you guys. It took me one hour to plan my grocery trip on Southern Savers, and less than 30 minutes to shop. Now, let's hope we can stick to this plan! Happy Savings!

No comments: