Tuesday, September 15, 2009

(applause)

Sleep has taken over, and I am a little bit behind. But I did want to post my thoughts on one dramatic/political event from last week. I know a lot of parents were upset about the issue and reaction to President Obama wanting to talk to their kids in school. It seems that most people's immediate response was that 'not allowing this' was disrespectful to him. But I just wanted to give you a thought. If my child is my responsibility, and I want to control the influences in his life-as long as I can, then why is it anyone else's business? Hear me out. If the bible tells us (Proverbs 1:15) to AVOID immorality/sinners, then how much more responsibility do we have to protect our children from those same influences? I know that some of you are gasping that I am classifying the President as immoral or a sinner-but if you can move past that, it is clearly NOT my point. Here is my point: it is MY decision as a parent to decide what will influence my child until he is of age to determine those things for himself. Now, obviously Mason is only 2. We did not have to make any decision this year regarding this matter. But I just wanted to take a moment to applaud any parent who seriously considered this decision. Whether your child attended the assembly or not, THANK YOU for taking your role seriously. The 'ray of light' in this (yet another) political debate is that some parents decided that THEY would be the ones choosing who influenced their child-popular decision or not. The sad truth to this is, a lot of parents were labeled as letting their politics keep their child from hearing the President. Some may have. But I can tell you that if we had to make that decision, politics wouldn't have had ANYTHING to do with our decision. It is a decision that would be made based on the moral and ethical influence on our child. I would not allow my child to attend an assembly with an immoral professional athlete speaking to him. I would not allow my child to attend an assembly with an immoral celebrity speaking to him. Because the truth is that children do not yet have the wisdom to realize the "speaker" supports abortion- would have supported their lives being terminated during pregnancy-among many other things that are unbiblical. And I will not give someone else a free opportunity to present a non-Godly principal to MY child because the truth is, to children...they can't see through the exciting wrapping paper. That is my responsibility. That is any parent's responsibility. I was so happy to see parents taking their role seriously. Kids are raised in the home, not in the schools and it is scary to see our corrupt government wanting to speak into our children's lives. I did take the time to read the speech beforehand and there were 2 further reasons in that speech that I would not have allowed my child to attend. My child will not be influenced and tricked by politics the way so many adults are. We have one book of truth that we will live by. Anything other than God's word, will not be tolerated in our family. The speech was very non-controversial, but the truth is, a political candidate was speaking. And in all political speeches there are unkempt promises, untrue statements, and persuasion at hand. No thank you. The truth is, that I am raising my child based on Godly principals. And (excuse my frankness, but) if anyone doesn't like that, they can take it up with Him!

1 comment:

The Dovers- said...

My wife is awesome. Great blog post.

Dover